Electron Microscopy: Sample Collection Instructions
- Immediately after obtaining the biopsy, place in a vial of EM fixative containing glutaraldehyde. EM fixative is located in the Gross Room or the EM lab.
- The EM fixative we use is 1/2 strength Karnovsky's fixative which contains 2.5% glutaraldehyde and 2% paraformaldehyde in 0.1M phosphate buffer.
- Cut the specimen in 1-2mm pieces using a clean, sharp blade. Avoid crushing.
- The specimen should be free of blood or extra connective tissue.
- Labeled vials and Pathology Request Form should be delivered to the EM Lab, room NW-279 or stored in a 4 degree C refrigerator until delivery is possible.
NOTE: DO NOT FREEZE THE SPECIMEN